The topics environment and sustainability are not only firmly anchored in the guiding principles of the regional association in Baden-Württemberg, they are actively lived in the youth hostels. This became apparent in the construction and energy management, in catering and operation, in the profiling of youth hostels as well as by creating innovative, sustainable projects and programmes.
The efforts already made need to be strengthened to experience comprehensive sustainable minimum standards in the future all over Baden-Württemberg in the sense of our quality understanding. The sustainability standards of the regional association Baden-Württemberg are based on the current standards of the quality concept “Youth Hostels – 100% proofed quality”. Our business activities are therefore focussed on clear and measurable goals and standards, which are effective and improve absolutely the social and environmental compatibility of our activities.
The pilot youth hostels in Bad-Urach, Herrenwies, Heidelberg and Ueberlingen were successfully audited by the main association on June 29, 2017. The entire implementation in the whole regional association has started in the second half of the year 2017.
With the additional certificate “Sustainability as an experience” we guarantee our guests from end of 2018 an environmentally, economically and socially sustainable minimum quality in all youth hostels in Baden-Wuerttemberg. Among other things, this includes the following:
- 100% renewable energy (green power)
- CO2 foot print (greenhouse gas balance) and climate-neutral overnight stay:
- energy efficiency measures regarding lamps, water flow and heating
- organic food in the group catering and supply of organic drinks
- supply of coffee and fish only with sustainability certificate
- a meat-reduced catering or a veggie day
- fresh and mainly regional fruit and vegetables
- papers with environmental labels
- climate-neutrally printed products
- programme offers to promote an education for sustainable development